Virginia Tech Dendrology Class
FOR 2324 1 Credit
- To expose students to morphological,
ecological and phenological traits useful in field identification of
- To stimulate curiosity about woody plant vegetation in North America
and to gain an appreciation of its uses by wildlife and people.
- To introduce some basic characteristics of forest ecosystems.
- Students should know and be able to list characteristics useful in distinguishing
woody plant families and genera.
- Students should know the scientific and common names of each plant studied
- Students should be able to identify and name each plant covered in laboratory,
either by fruit, cone, leaf, twig, bark, habit, or any combination of these
or other characteristics.
- Students should be familiar with the basic ecology and range of each species
covered in the lab through reading materials in the texts.