Virginia Tech Dendrology Factsheets
Floristic Regions (Biomes)
- Clicking on this map will select the native and naturalized
species within a region. To see the species of a region within one
state, you will have
next (search results) page.
- This map of North American Floristic Regions was based on work by Greg J. Schmidt with the University
of Tennessee Botany Department.
- Original map boundaries were based on interpretation of available
vegetation/floristic maps such as in Goode's world atlas, Gleason
Plant Geography, and Bailey's
- Map boundaries were adjusted based on forest
cover type data available at the National Atlas.
- THIS IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE! For example, small populations of Boreal
Forest species can be found at High Elevations in the Appalachians.
They are not represented on this "painted" map. The intent is to provide
GENERAL information, and (hopefully) aid end users with their tree